Wednesday, April 24, 2013

my fellow authors'

I got my first issue of SGL BookLovers Magazine yesterday. Of course I went straight to my review and interview first. It reads pretty good but from now on I'm going to review my answers more meticulously before I send them. There are some things I would word differently now. The magazine itself looks good though! It's mostly author interviews, profiles and book reviews. They are all Black LGBT/SGL[same gender loving] authors. I read all the other author interviews, too. I have to say that I did not know there were so many Black LGBT authors out there working so hard to bring visibility to our sub-culture within a sub-culture. I solute these writers and LGBT writers of all races, colors, ethnicity's, nationalities, both sexes and gender identities for the work they are doing. It is not easy work.
     Strangely, I don't feel like I'm competing with other LGBT writers. I feel like every author has something unique to say and only that author can say it. So why should we feel threatened by each other? The stories that these authors wrote are stories that I couldn't have written. They were stories with urban contemporary themes in contemporary settings. I write stories with contemporary themes in bygone settings. But even authors who write all contemporary stories are still writing different stories that are unique to their personal talents, world view and experiences. I think it's best for authors to help each other in any and every way we can rather than feel threatened.
    There is only one article in the entire issue. It is titled  Five Ways to Market your Book. The editor all ready told me that my first article The World Within: Part One of Three is going into the next issue. I'm hoping to have some kind of impact on the magazine by contributing regular articles. Writing regular articles is also a way for me to help and encourage my fellow authors. My hope is that this is the beginning of a long and mutually beneficial association SGL BookLovers Magazine. I also hope to someday meet some of the other authors featured in the magazine, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment