Tuesday, April 23, 2013

method writing

My last article in the three part series I'm writing for SGL BookLovers Is Going to be about Characterization and spirituality, and I have no idea how I'm going to spin it. First, I think I need to define characterization. Dictionary.com defines it as 1. portrayal; description 2. the act of characterizing 3. the representation of fictitious characters. So, I have an idea now. I'm going to talk about how I get to know my characters. If an author is going to give an accurate portrayal, description and representation of his/her characters he/she has to know them inside and out, right? And the best way to get to know someone is to talk to them, spend time with them,etc.
    This is starting to sound a little like method acting, so lets research method acting. According to Wikipedia method acting is ''any of a family of techniques used by actors to create in themselves the thoughts and feelings of their characters, so as to develop lifelike performances.'' I think that an author can do almost the same thing, even when their not writing. It's important that the author not treat characters like a piece of intellectual property and more like living, breathing and complex beings with identities of their own.
    Okay, so this will be my outline for the article. I'll call the article Method Writing: part three of three. Earlier I had a posting entitled  The Francis Farmer Syndrome in which I talked about how I talk to my characters and befriend them but this takes that a step further. Some might say it takes me a step closer to the funny farm, but I don't care. I'm going to explore this ''method writing'' idea of mine. Authors are giving a kind of  ''performance'' just like actors, right? We want lifelike characterization, too. Maybe I'm onto something! Lee Strasberg eat your heart out!

No comments:

Post a Comment