Thursday, March 7, 2013

the art of flies and honey

I still have not heard from my sound recording engineer friend. It's okay though. With a project like this I've learned that if something doesn't pan out one day then you do something else to move the project forward. I have had to hire people many times to do things for me regarding my writing; typists, IT consultants, editors, graphic artists, photographers and now a recording engineer. Many times I have been frustrated with them for various reasons but, like my grandmother use to say  ''you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.'' Why anybody would want to catch flies in the first place is beside the point, I guess. The point, in this case, is that kindness, diplomacy and patients are an art form in and of themselves. Peoples lives don't revolve around your project. They have there own jobs, projects and lives to worry about. So, I have learned to prescribe myself a ''chill pill '' and, like I said, do something else.
    Of course, you cannot allow yourself to be taken advantage of either. There could come a time when you have to fire someone and find somebody else with their skills to do what you need done. I have never had to go that far but I've felt like it and I've felt like telling people off, too! I just don't think it's productive, and in the end people have always come through, although I found that I went through a truckload of  ''chill-pills'' beforehand!
    Un-returned phone calls and e-mails, being late to meetings, loosing materials, etc. all come with the territory and I'm having my first case of deja vu. Oh well, I haven't paid him yet anyhow and this recording session will be our second. I just hope we finish before I go out of town next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment