Wednesday, March 20, 2013

a cyber slueth am I

I'm up to chapter eight in my re-read of the sequel draft. It reads well but I'm finding myself questioning the first person narrative. I have an idea as to how to make it plausible but it needs work. I will have to write a fictitious forward giving background information on the narrative itself. I thought about just rewriting the whole story in third person which would basically mean just changing the pronouns to nouns. But that would be too much like Rainbow Plantation Blues. This sequel is somewhat of a continuation of that story except  It's from Kumi's perspective and has a longer timeline. Still it must be fresh and different and be able to hold it's own.
    So I got on the web today and did some research. I found some really interesting turn of the century gay history that I can work with. By the turn of the century the word homosexual had been coined but there were also other words to identity us like  ''uranian.'' This word was coined in 1862 by Karl Heinrich Ulrichs. It is used through out an amazing speech I found by Anna Rueling. Miss Rueling is the first know Lesbian/Gay rights activist in the world. She gave her speech  What Interest Does the Women's Movement Have in the Homosexual Question? at a 1904 Scientific Humanitarian Committee gathering. The SHC was the first known Gay rights organization in the world established in 1897 in Berlin. If you want to check out the speech, which I highly recommend, you can find it on line or you can get a copy of  We Are Everywhere: A Historical Sourcebook in Gay and Lesbian Politics. The speech is way ahead of it's time and is still relevant today.
    I  was then led to a man named Henry Gerber. I already knew of Gerber and the fact that he founded the oldest known Gay rights organization in America The Society for Human Rights in Chicago in 1924. What I didn't know was that he had lived in Germany prior to founding the SHS. The thriving, by turn of the century standards, gay life there motivated him to come back to America and share the love so to speak. After he got the charter was the SHS, which was amazing in and of itself, everything went down hill from there. If you want to know more search Henry Gerber. The knowledge is well worth it. I researched some other things too, like graphology and carbon dating.
    Now my challenge is to weave, I love the word ''weave'' in this context because it's so visual, all this info together and solve my plausibility concerns. This is where the creativity in historical fiction comes in!

No comments:

Post a Comment