Thursday, June 6, 2013

jason collins, titles and subtle growth

I'm taking a break from my series Before Stonewall, After 1899 for awhile. I keep coming across all this new information as I post it. So, it's going to be longer than I thought. But the first transsexual and ''how MLK's gay connection almost destroyed the Black civil-rights movement'' will be saved for another series I've decided to do called movers and shakers. No, I'm not talking about people who transport furniture in a truck or the religious community called the Shakers. I'm talking about LGBT people who made an impact on the movement. Maybe I'll even include contemporary people who are turning the tide, like recently out NBA player Jason Collins. Or, better yet, maybe I'll do a series on hot movers and shakers and include him!
    Last night I got two more pages done on the sequel and another article written for SGL BookLovers magazine. I wrote for several hours straight, or rather several hours Gay, and didn't get to bed until well after 1:30 AM. The article is called Writing is a drag and it's about editing. I know it's a weird title for an article about editing but it does make sense once you read the article. I like to come up with titles that are sort of odd or weird to peak a readers curiosity. I want readers to say to themselves ''what the heck is that about!''
    When I sit-down to write, or blog, I have no idea what the end result will be. All I have is a very vague idea of what I'm going to say. I let it all come as I go. I want to get a cohesive idea down on paper and then go back and edit it later. I am almost always satisfied with the end result. I also find that writing about what I know, understand and am interested in is important, too. Another important thing to me is writing with my own voice, in my own words and with my own vision. That's where the art of writing comes in.
    My long term goal is to become the best writer I can be and the only way to get better is to write consistently, period! The growth and development are very subtle and accumulate over time. So, I have to keep cranking out these blog post, articles for SGL BookLovers and page after page on my sequel. I also have to keep reading a lot. I think that when you read books you unconsciously learn spelling, grammar, punctuation, sentence structure, etc. Hopefully my articles, and this blog, will help and/or inspire others because helping others affects your own growth too.

No comments:

Post a Comment