Tuesday, August 26, 2014

fannie johnson 1932 - 2014 part 2

This is the speech I read at my grandmother's funeral. I gave the back ground regarding it in my last post if your asking yourself  ''why the hell is he posting this?'' Here's the speech:
    For those of you who don't know who I am, I am Fannie's first grandson.
    I would like to talk about the Fannie Johnson that I knew. Growing up with her in the 1970's and 80's was  a joy. She was that storybook kind of grandmother who always made sure my belly was full and I had a warm and cozy place to sleep when I came to visit her in East Cleveland. She was never mean or distant and only had kind and uplifting things to say to me.
    When I went to Hollywood to become a rock star all she said was ''bring me back a hit record!'' When I didn't bring her back a hit record all she said was ''well, don't worry about it. Just try something else.'' When I came out to her all she said was ''yeah, and...?!'' Your my Grandson, right? So, what else matters?
    All I ever got was forty-six years of pure love and kindness from her, period. No additives, no fillers, no artificial colors or flavors.
    I took all this for granted and it took me decades to realize what a gem of a person she was. When I became mature enough to realize that the world did not revolve around me, I asked her about her like. I was shocked to hear that she had been through so much and I never even got a hint of it! Smiles, encouragement, hugs, and kisses was all I ever got from 1968-2014.
    Fannie Johnson, I solute you, I love you and I thank you for being my friend for every moment of our lives together.
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment