Thursday, February 28, 2013

what the #@$% am I thinking?!?!

Two days ago I posted that my goal is to finish the Rainbow Plantation Blues trilogy in five years but-HELLO! Earth to Robert! Didn't I say it took me four years to write Rainbow Plantation Blues, let alone write, edit, publish and promote two new books! Who do I think I am, super queen! Nonetheless I have committed myself to this project, although part of me wonders if I should commit myself to the loony bin. No. At this point there is no turning back. I might as well put on my rainbow cape and lavender tights and get busy.
    I guess I can say I already have. I bought a copy of Blogging for Dummies. I'm a firm believer in on the job training and teaching myself the who, what, when, wheres and, in this case, the hows of doing something or finding something out. I just roll up my sleeves and put on some rubber gloves, to protect my nails, and dig in the dirt! The book is very helpful but it's a lot of information so it's on-going.
    I have also been re-reading Rainbow Plantation Blues. Look, I have not read it in over three years! I want to re-familiarize myself with the characters and their world. I spent so much time weaning and nurturing them from 2004 to 2008 that I knew them like the back of my hand. After I released them into the wild I focused on other things, but I kept getting royalty checks! So, I knew my creation must be doing okay in the world. I think of re-reading my own book as something like a class reunion. I want to see how everybody has aged! No, I'm kidding! Or maybe I'm not totally kidding. A fine wine or cheese gets better over time. So, in addition to re-familiarization I need to see if I still stand by my own work, if it still speaks to me. I'm happy to say that, although I'm only on chapter nine, I do and it does! I have only found one or two words and/or phrases I would change.
    As a writer I do not feel that I ''own'' my work. I feel like my work is it's own entity. I am in partnership with my characters and their world. A story is not being told by me but through me.

No comments:

Post a Comment